“Love isn’t something natural. Rather it requires discipline, concentration, patience, faith, and the overcoming of narcissism. It isn’t a feeling, it is a practice.” – Eric Fromm
Why do we love inspiring relationship quotes so much?
A thought becomes a quote because it speaks a universal language. It grabs at emotions that everyone has and talks about topics we all think about a lot.
The quotes I love all touch the heart. I bet it’s the same with you. The things that resonate for you have a message that feels personal to what you’re going through. The words say something that makes you think. For me, they might be funny or powerful. Things that motivate me, make me laugh, or make me think about someone important to me.
That’s how they become quotes in the first place. People repeat them because the message grabbed their emotions and imagination. Sometimes quotes are funny. Often, they touch on really deep aspects of the human condition.
There’s value in being able to tap into the wisdom of thought leaders and those whose experience we trust. Another fantastic thing about quotes is that they’re bite-sized. You don’t need hours to read or understand them. But they stay with you and give you something to think about.
While you can find pieces of advice on almost any subject, inspiring relationship quotes can be especially powerful. To me, our relationships are the most important aspect of our life.
The quote above, by Eric Fromm, is a great one about love because it showcases something that people sometimes overlook. Love and relationships take commitment and effort.
That’s something I teach my clients to keep in mind, because your love life is up to you. It’s not something that happens to you. It’s something that happens with you.
There are quotes that provide value at every point in your relationships. That’s what we’re going to talk about today. We’ll dive into fun quotes and thoughtful ones on true love and healthy relationships. I’m also giving you a top fifteen of my own quotes that I post to my social media channels.
What Are the Most Inspiring Relationship Quotes?
Have you ever noticed that you can hear a song you’ve heard a million times, but it means something new to you at that moment?
If you’re going through a breakup, you might hear the song, “When a Man Loves a Woman” written by Calvin Lewis and Andrew Wright, and your eyes well up. The song never moved you the same way before because you weren’t in the same emotional place.
That’s something called reader responsibility. Or in the case of a song, listener responsibility.
When a writer, artist, or thinker creates a phrase, it has a message to it. They have something important to say to the world. The author is expressing something honest and profound. At the same time, what you hear and take away from that message is just as important.
Writing is one of the coolest art forms for that reason – it’s a relationship with the reader. Your thoughts and experience impact the messages you take away from the words.
What does all this have to do with inspiring relationship quotes?
It works the same way with words of wisdom and quotes. Your mindset, experiences, and even the mood you’re in have an influence on how you read quotes and which quotes speak to you at any time.
Love quotes are really popular because love is one of the most important aspects of a life you’d love. The things going on in your life will make those quotes more or less memorable.
“You are my sun, my moon, and all my stars.” – E.E. Cummings
When I read that quote by Cummings, I love it. I think of all of the little things about my wife that make our relationship great and the bigger things that make this true for me, and us.
But, if I was still a single guy not ready for love or not in love, I might skip right over that quote. If I was a single guy looking for love, that quote would probably trigger feelings of loneliness, or I could react to it by wishing for what I felt was missing.
Mat Boggs’ Quotes on Love
As a Love and Relationship expert and coach, I enjoy sharing teachings that my clients find inspiring and helpful as they move forward in their lives. I thought this would be a great place to share a roundup of some of the inspiring relationship quotes that resonate most.
Feel free to share them and follow me on Instagram to keep up with the latest:
- If you want a man to chase you, it’s essential to stop trying to be who you think he wants. Anything other than the purest version of you is a watered-down version of yourself.
- Rather than accepting breadcrumbs or leftovers from a man, claim yourself as a confident woman who men actively chase and pursue.
- Choose authenticity over looking cool, and you’ll win every time.
- The degree to which we have compassion for ourselves is directly related to the degree in which we can offer compassion to others.
- Small acts of kindness are a form of love. Do something nice for someone and you’ll increase the love in your life.
- When you love someone, their happiness and fulfillment matter to you.
- If your love life is not where you want it to be, it’s time for a revolution.
- It is your birthright to be totally fulfilled, totally healthy, and totally alive in each and every area of your life
- Love yourself for all the mistakes you’ve made and be grateful for who you have become.
- Attract a man who brings out your best, and you bring out the best in him.
- Give your love to the world, and let the world give you love in return.
- Stop self-deprecating, own all that you’ve got, and embrace your natural beauty.
- We all have hurt in our past, and each story, heartache, and failure can easily be used, brick-by-brick, to build a wall around our hearts.
- We can say things that uplift, inspire, and make people feel good. Or we can say things that discourage and tear people down.
- Consider the possibility that what you find irritating about others is what you find hard to love about yourself.
Inspiring Love Quotes by Literary Greats
Some of the most inspiring relationship quotes come from amazing works of fiction. Here are ten of my favorites:
- “For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.” – Carl Sagan
- “There are all kinds of love in this world but never the same love twice.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “Love recognizes no barriers.” – Maya Angelou
- “Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.” – Charles Dickens
- “There is more of good nature than of good sense at the bottom of most marriages.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”- Emily Brontë
- “Love is a great beautifier.” – Louisa May Alcott
- “I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.” – Paulo Coelho
- “Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.” – Zelda Fitzgerald
Inspiring Love Quotes by Legendary Thought Leaders
Some of my favorite quotes by names you’ll recognize:
- “Having someone wonder where you are when you don’t come home at night is a very old human need.” – Margaret Mead
- “If you would be loved, love, and be lovable.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “Where there is love, there is life.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “If you find someone you love in your life, then hang on to that love.” – Princess Diana
- “Where love rules, there is no will to power; and where power predominates, there love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.” – Carl Jung
- “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” – Lao Tzu
- “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with their heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
- “Everything is clearer when you’re in love.” – John Lennon
- “It is not lack of love but lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
- “The more you are motivated by love, the more fearless and free your actions will be.” – Dalai Lama
Best Quotes on Healthy Relationships
- “I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.” – Roy Croft
- “Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary.” – Oscar Wilde
- Love is always bestowed as a gift – freely, willingly and without expectation. We don’t love to be loved; we love to love. – Leo Bascaglia
- “That’s the thing about being the product of happily married parents. You grow up thinking the fairy tale is real, and more than that, you think you’re entitled to live it.” – Nicholas Sparks
Best Quotes to Get Through Relationship Problems
When your relationship is in trouble or you’re just having a difficult time connecting, quotes can help you gain clarity. Here are a few good ones:
- “The regret of my life is that I have not said, ‘I love you’ often enough.” – Yoko Ono
- “You don’t love someone because they’re perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they’re not.” – Jodi Picoult
- “The course of true love never did run smooth.” – William Shakespeare (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
- “It takes courage to love, but pain through love is the purifying fire which those who love generously know. We all know people who are so much afraid of pain that they shut themselves up like clams in a shell and, giving out nothing, receive nothing and therefore shrink until life is a mere living death.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
How Self-Love Affirmations Can Reinforce the Inspiration You Get From Your Favorite Quotes
Reading quotes is an awesome way to get insights from great thinkers, leaders, even your favorite famous people. During this post, you’ve learned why some quotes speak to you more than others and what it has to do with where you are in your life.
I invite you to save this page to use whenever you want. With forty-five quotes, you probably picked out a few favorites. What spoke to you today might be different tomorrow. And we can all use a few more thoughts about love to brighten up a day.
Quotes are a great way to spark your imagination and they’re something I use often to get (and give) a little bite-sized wisdom. Affirmations are another way that I keep my own vibrations high.
No matter where you are in love – looking, not looking, or in a committed relationship, my free Self-Love Activation Kit helps you elevate your own sense of worth and increases the love you give that most important person, yourself.
Download it today and increase your ability to give and receive love.