The Successful Coach’s Ultimate Guide to Discovery Calls that Get More Clients with Ease [Free Checklist]
Have you ever wondered what the secret sauce is for coaches to get new clients?
It isn’t about having a flashy website, going viral, or even giving away a bunch of free stuff…
The real game-changer is a powerful coaching ‘discovery call.’ This powerful tool can transform prospects into eager clients, ready to take the next step with you.
But what exactly is a discovery call? And how can you design one that has potential clients excited to enroll in your coaching programs? Keep reading to learn our proven discovery call structure, plus grab your free discovery call checklist!
What is a Discovery Call?
A discovery call is like a first date in the coaching world.
You and your potential client can get to know each other and explore values, goals, and your approach. You can establish if there’s a good fit and decide whether to take things to the next level.
Think of it as an exploratory session where both you and your potential client can assess compatibility. Plus, it also gives you the chance as a coach to demonstrate the value you can bring to their lives.
Why Discovery Calls are Essential to Success as a Life Coach
Discovery calls are a cornerstone in the process of getting new clients. They are crucial for coaches looking to enroll new clients into their programs and expand their reach.
These calls help you understand your potential clients’ pain points, biggest challenges, and how you can help them achieve their goals. These calls are a two-way street – you provide insights and potential solutions, and they share their needs and aspirations.
More importantly, discovery calls allow you to authentically serve potential clients with a solution to their pain and a path to their vision.
They are a value-driven opportunity where you can offer them a chance to invest in themselves and their dreams, while helping them feel safe, seen, and heard.
Offering a simple, yet unforgettable discovery call will enable you to:
- Authentically serve your potential client in a 1×1 setting
- Help each potential client feel seen and heard, increasing their sense of know-like-trust
- Provide a sneak-peek of the transformative experience each client can expect to have with you
- Support each potential client in clarifying their vision for what they desire and what isn’t working
- Build their awareness of the GAP in-between where they are now and where they want to be
- Help potential clients see the cost of staying where they are without support
After all, decisions to invest in meaningful change are not made in the computer of the brain…
They’re made in the theater of the heart.
In other words, the moment any of us decide to make an investment to create a new result, like investing in a coach, we buy based on EMOTION. Then, we back it up with logic later.
The easiest way to accomplish this?
Designing an opportunity to SERVE each potential client that also builds trust… a discovery call.
Our Proven Coaching Discovery Call Script
A great discovery call script is like a roadmap to a successful conversation.
It should include discovery questions that are open-ended to encourage your potential client to share about themselves. Remember to remain committed to making the call all about them, their longing and discontent, and their dreams and goals.
Then the sale or successful enrollment simply becomes the answer to HOW they bridge the gap. Signing up with you will feel like a natural conclusion of the conversation.
Here is an outline for the discovery call we teach our certified coaches here at Brave Thinking Institute. We teach this as part of our Heart-Centered Enrollment Process, a proven way to get more clients easily!
- Preparation: Ensure you’re well-prepared before the call.
Step 1: Pre-qualify Your Client
- Initial Connection: Compliment the client for showing up, being on time, and completing any intake forms you sent.
- Session Overview: Explain the session’s focus – their longing/discontent, their goals & ideal results, and a professional assessment of the best path to achieving the results they desire.
- Promise: Clarify that the call’s outcome will be to determine fit and provide guidance for next steps
Step 2: The Pain/Pleasure Principle
- Uncovering Pain: Deeply explore the client’s main area of struggle, its duration, and impact on their life.
- Highlight Discontent: Use the client’s words to echo the things in their life they are unhappy with.
- Teaching Point: Briefly educate on missing links or possible solutions to their issues. Avoid helping them solve their problem on the call, as this could distract them from their need for greater support.
- Vision Discovery: Encourage clients to describe what they would love instead, using detailed, future-oriented language.
Step 3: Reveal The Gap
- Identify the Gap: Highlight the discrepancy between the client’s current state and their vision.
- Visualization: Use metaphors like bridges or timelines to illustrate the space between where they are and where they want to be.
Step 4: Get the “YES, I Need Help!”
- Acknowledgment: Validate the duration and real-life impact of the client’s struggle with empathy.
- Value of Help: Emphasize the benefits of identifying blind spots and seeking mentorship.
- Consent: Proceed only with enthusiastic consent from both parties.
Step 5: The Good Fit Revealed
- Alignment Confirmation: Reiterate how your services align with the client’s needs and vision.
- Selectivity: Stress that you only work with clients who are truly a good fit, and visa-versa.
Step 6: The Offer
- Focus on Results: Emphasize the outcomes of working with you rather than just the process.
- Pricing Strategy: Present the value of your solutions and offer pricing options.
- Payment Options: Discuss accepted payment methods and available plans.
Step 7: The Close
- Enrollment: Explain next steps and how the client can get started once they enroll.
- Client Concerns: Address any questions or concerns.
- Post-Enrollment: Follow up for reassurance and provide pre-program activities.
Your discovery call can be a highly effective tool for understanding client needs and establishing a solid foundation for a successful coaching relationship!
10 Tips for Success: Discovery Call Success Checklist
- Enthusiasm and Gratitude: Maintain a positive and grateful attitude throughout the call.
- Serving the Client: Focus on the client’s needs and how best to serve them, rather than selling to them.
- Active Listening: Pay close attention to the client’s words and sentiments. Allow your client to speak for 80% of the call.
- Personal Connection: Build rapport and trust with your potential customers by connecting on a personal level.
- Clear Communication: Be clear and transparent in all explanations and offers.
- Follow-Up: Ensure timely and effective follow-up post-call, regardless of the outcome of the call.
- Engaging Questions: Prepare a list of open ended questions that uncover the client’s pain points and aspirations.
- Discuss Your Offering: Clearly explain how your coaching program can help them overcome their challenges. Don’t just describe what you offer, show them how it can be the solution they need.
- Handle Objections: Be prepared to answer any concerns or doubts your potential client might have.
- Give Clear Next Steps: End the call with a clear plan of action, whether it’s a follow-up call, enrolling them in a program, or sending more information.
Common Discovery Call Mistakes to Avoid
- Talking Too Much: This can overwhelm your potential client and make them feel unheard.
- Not Listening Actively: Failing to listen can lead to missing out on crucial information.
- Being Too Pushy: This can turn prospects off. The goal is to guide, not coerce.
- Trying to Solve Their Problem on the Discovery Call: This can distract your potential client from their need for support with a band aid solution.
Pro-Tips for Mastering Your Discovery Calls & Enrolling Even More Clients
- Don’t shy away when fears or doubts surface. This is when your client needs you the MOST, and when the real support starts. Helping people see that they can overcome their limiting beliefs is your job as a coach and difference-maker.
- Beware of the “YES, BUT LATER” person. Beware of the people who say, “YES, I’m in, but I need to call you back, or pay later.” These people usually have objections or challenges they have not voiced. When you let them go, they often won’t come back.
- Create something for the potential client who ‘wants to look at something.’ Make sure you have created some simple sales tools such as a website, details of your programs/products/services, and/or a program guide. This can help instill confidence and help you look more professional.
- Use a Program Registration Form or Client Agreement: Have it ready to hand or email to interested clients. This sets the table for your sale!
How to Use Discovery Calls to Grow Your Coaching Business
Discovery calls are more than just a pre-sales activity. They are an opportunity to genuinely connect with potential clients, understand their needs, and show how you can help them.
By mastering the art of discovery calls, you set the stage for more clients and a thriving coaching business.
When you ask the right questions, listen attentively, and genuinely care about your potential client’s challenges, you not only increase your chances of gaining a new client, but also lay the foundation for a successful coaching journey.
So, there you have it – a comprehensive guide on what a discovery call is and how to make the most of it! With your free discovery call checklist in hand, you’re all set to make each call a stepping stone to success.