Most of us have been taught that “calories in, calories out” is what creates weight change. But what if there’s so much more than meets the eye?
What if there are many deeper layers?
What if a global pandemic can trigger some of those layers? Or a time when it feels like the world’s in chaos, and you’re looking for safety?
In my several decades of research and study in the fields of health, well-being and creating ideal weight, I’ve found at least 12 “stress-ers” that impact our weight.
The good news is that when you reduce or eliminate these stress-ers from your life, getting to your ideal weight becomes a whole lot easier! And because each of these stress-ers have an impact on more than just your weight, changing just one of them makes a BIG difference in all of the quadrants of your life – your relationships, your vocation or creative expression, and your time and money freedom, as well as your health and well-being.
The Top 12 Weight “Stress-ers” include:
- Low-level chronic stress is like putting the body in constant fight-or-flight mode. And the current COVID-19 pandemic has created a certain amount of chronic stress that everyone has felt. Your body can store fat as though a famine were on the way in this state of prolonged stress!
- Traumatic stress can come from an event, like abuse, the death of a loved one, a divorce, an accident or an injury.
- Mental stress can come from constant or chronic worrying, anxiety, or from overly listening to the voice of the inner critic. It can also come from excessive watching or reading the news, especially right now during this global pandemic.
- Emotional stress can be triggered by an event that’s happening in the world, or in our personal lives – such as moving to a new place, starting at a new school or job, or issues with your relationship, your work or your finances. It can also be from our current requirement for social isolation.
- Physical stress is created by putting too little of the right things into your body (creating nutritional famine), and too much of the wrong things (toxins). It can also be created by over-exercising or under-exercising. Other physical stress can come from poor posture, poor ergonomics, and chronic misuse or overuse of certain parts of the body (i.e. sitting at a computer desk in an improper position, or sleeping in a position that causes unneeded strain on the body.)
- Dehydration caused by drinking too much caffeine or carbonation, alcohol, and not enough healthy, alkalized water.
- Protective Weight / Safety Weight (for overweight issues primarily): This is extra weight that you don’t need, but is kept on by your body in an effort to help you feel safer and more protected around your middle, which is also your power center energetically, or in the lower half of your body to feel grounded. Your spirit could be actually calling forth healthier boundaries, or helping you feel a sense of safety and groundedness within your relationships, at your work, and in your general life circumstances.
- The Four Hidden Barriers: the fear of outshining, the fear of abandonment, the fear of the burden of success, and the fear of being fundamentally flawed. These are four barriers to success identified by Gay Hendricks in his book “The Big Leap.” Any of these four fears can also cause people to unconsciously keep extra weight, or stay at a lower weight than they want!
- Famine mentality (for overweight issues primarily): Growing up, were you taught to eat everything on your plate? People with a famine mentality have a subconscious set-point that their body feels there isn’t enough food. This leads to over-eating and storing excess fat, or eating a normal amount of food and still not being able to release excess fat, because their body is responding by either storing or holding onto extra weight to prepare “as if a famine is coming.”
- Pleasure / Fun / Creative/Vocational Expression Famine: Using unhealthy, excess food for pleasure and fun, in place of real-life joyful activities/hobbies, pleasure and fun. You don’t feel creatively expressed, and you feel creatively or vocationally stuck or stifled.
- Eating for the wrong reasons: Using food or alcohol as a reward, this includes eating as a main source of pleasure, eating when bored, or eating for companionship. It can also show up as eating when lonely, eating to fill an inner void, or eating toxic food to subconsciously punish one’s self.
- Your BODY may subconsciously want to be underweight: If you are underweight, subconsciously being thinner might feel safer. To be seen as “weaker” or frail has its own subconscious benefits as well.
Our weight is an outer reflection of our inner blueprint. Our weight is a subconscious “programming.” Unless we do the inner work around resetting this underlying blueprint, the subconscious will continue to override and sabotage even our best efforts to make a positive change.
The great news is that once you’re aware of these stress-ers and the impact they have on your weight, the sooner you can start to take on healthier ways of living and thinking that can help you create a weight you love!
And when making changes to your health and your weight, having a transformational coach who is specifically trained in the mind-body-spirit connection is really one of the only ways to effectively address these underlying deeper issues.
The good news is that I am a trained transformational coach with the expertise in the mind-body-spirit connection. I have 20 years of experience in supporting women in creating optimal vibrant health, including their ideal weight, through a special coaching method and wellness program I’ve developed where I combine transformational coaching, proven health science, and mind-body-spirit tools and techniques. All of this combined addresses the underlying issues so that the incredible women I work with create the results of their dreams!
If you are new to my work, the program where we most address these issues is in my Vibrant Healthy Woman Coaching Program.
And if you’re a new client of the Vibrant Healthy Woman Coaching Program, congratulations! I assure you, we are going to be diving into each of the weight stress-ers and underlying issues in the weeks to come. And I’ll be supporting you every step of the way!
If you’d like to either explore more about my work and coaching programs, and especially receive support with any of your weight stress-ers, your first step is to claim the following free gift: a complimentary Vibrant Healthy Woman Consultation! This consultation is valued at $250, but it’s yours 100% COMPLIMENTARY for a limited time.
I know it’s been an extra-stressful time lately and I’m giving you this gift to support you in creating thriving health and wellness, no matter how off track things have gotten. Let’s create amazing results together moving into the next few months!
The first step is simply having a powerful consultation about where you currently are, crafting a vision for where you’d love to be, and sharing with us which of the above weight stress-ers you think you are experiencing. We can make some suggestions on which proven steps you can take to start creating your ideal weight and wellness you desire.
Now it’s your turn. Have you experienced one or more of these stress-ers in your life? Leave a comment for our amazing community below. We’d love to hear from you!
To your health and vitality,